HandBrake is a free multiplatform video transcoder which available for Mac OS X, Linux and Windows. It is open source program released under GNU General Public License, so you can download and use it for free of charge. With HandBrake, you can transcode your movies and transfer them to a format that appropriate for your computers, media centers, and portable media players.
The program allows you to convert MPEG video including DVD-Video into a MPEG-4 video file in AVI, MP4, MKV, M4V and OGM. This video transcoder is used by many people to convert DVDs into the video formats which can be viewed on iPods, iPhones and with the Mac QuickTime Player. The software allows you to add source files from Video File, DVD folder and DVD drive. The conversion process is simple and easy. You can use built-in presets for appropriate media players. HandBrake is one of most popular free video converter software.
- Video File Format: MP4, M4V, AVI, MKV and OGM.
- Video Codec: MPEG-4, H.264, or Theora.
- Audio Codec: AAC, MP3, Vorbis and AC-3.
These are available build-in presets you will found in the program:
- iPhone & iPod Touch
- Legacy: AppleTV Legacy, iPhone Legacy, iPod Legacy
- High Profile
- Constant Quality Rate
- Gaming Consoles
- Xbox 360
- Highlight Features
Here are some highlight features of the programs:
- Audio Codec
- Video Codec
- Video Quality: Target Size, Avg Bitrate, Constant Quality
- Advanced Encoding Setting: Grayscale Encoding, 2-pass Encoding, Turbo first Pass
- Crop: Automatic, Custom
- Size: Width, Height, Anamorphic
- Filters: Detelecine, Decomb, Deinterlace, Denoise and Deblock
- Reference Frames
- Motion Estimation Method
- Motion Estimation Range
- Subpixel Motion Estimation
- And more setting based on presets
- Chapter Selection
HandBrake can include chapter markers when you use the MP4 or MKV file formats.
These will be placed at the same point where the chapter breaks are on the DVD.
Basic Subtitle Support
HandBrake “hard burns” subtitles. This means the subtitles are written on top of the image permanently.
They cannot be turned on or off like on the DVD. It can only read subtitles from DVDs. It cannot work with subtitles when reading other files.